James Lemen Monument
Pictures and documents submitted by Janet Flynn.
|Lemen monument after its June 2004 marking by the NSDAR.|
Lemen Monument, (#17 on the cemetery map). The monument dedicated to Revolutionary War soldier and anti-slavery preacher, Rev. James Lemen, Sr., is located off Route 3, in a field behind the Nobbe Equipment Company, close to the Lemen home built in the late 1700's. This was the first brick building built in Illinois. It was indexed by Al Mueller & Al Hartman on May 15, 1969. The property is now (2005) owned by Bernie & Sharon Vogt.
|The procession to the monument at the dedication - Lemen home/fort in background.||Revolutionary War re-enactors present at the dedication.|
Click photos for larger view.
|1909 dedication of the Lemen monument from
The Waterloo Republican (3,000 attendees, speech by Wm. Jennings Bryant)
Waterloo Republican, Waterloo, ILL., Wednesday, September 8, 1909:
Thousand People Attend the Ceremonies at Cemetery
to The Republican
Lemen Station, Sep. 2 – Probably the largest gathering ever
witnessed in Monroe county gathered here today to witness the unveiling
of the Lemen monument.
The day had been proclaimed a holiday by the mayors of Waterloo,
Columbia and Red Bud, and there were large delegations from every
The day was ideal except for the dust.
The warm spell skipped a cog, * and just as the people began to
assemble at the ground old Sol slipped behind clouds and there remained
during the day.
The trains were crowded to standing room only, and for the
accommodation of the public were stopped at the cemetery site.
Hundreds of vehicles were driven to the grounds from every where.
Dr. J. A. Leavitt, president of Ewing college, was president of
After the arrival a procession was formed, led by the Bethel Band
and the Grand Army, and the address of welcome was delivered on behalf
of the city and county by City Clerk J. W. Jackson.
The address was a splendid effort which paid glowing tribute to
the pioneer whose memory this occasion was to honor.
The response was by Dr. Twing of Alton.
In the absence of Gov. Folk the biographical sketch of James
Lemen was read by Rev. Colbert of Bethel church.
The monument was then unveiled by Misses Cleda Lemen of
O'Fallon and Pattie Bowler of Collinsville.
The monument is a large affair of Vermont granite, 12 feet high,
and of good proportions, and cost over $800.
The audience then retired to the grove where a large number of
seats had been erected to accommodate the multitude.
The principal oration was there given by Col. William Jennings
Bryan who was at his best. He
had chosen for his subject, "Little Things," and for one hour held
the audience spell bound. A
splendid tribute was paid to the elder Lemen, their relations to the
Bryan family, and a large number of incidents related which showed how
mighty events are brot about by little incidents.
Col. Bryan has the gift of oratory, and it is a pleasure to hear
him. His style is easy and
natural, and his language pure English. He was easily heard and understood.
Dinner was then announced, and a recess taken for the repast.
After dinner Ex-Sen. J. W. Rickert gave a resume of Monroe county
history. For many years Mr.
Rickers has been a student of history, and the compilation of incidents
in connection with the affairs of this county was interesting and
instructive, and contained many events not usually found in our
histories. The address was
scholarly and instructive.
The church work of James Lemen was then reviewed by Dr. Twing.
Rev. W. A. Boyakin, who had hoped to live to attend this event,
but who died not long since, had prepared an address in memory of the
pioneers of this locality, which was read by Fred Merrills of
The final offerings were by seven little girls, Edna Douglas of
Renault, Marguerite Rickert, Loretta Ziebold, Minnie Schmidt, Irene
Tolin, Ura Eisenbart and Dorothy Dalkert of Waterloo.
old Lemen homested is now owned by William Fridrichs.
While it is now one of the best farms in the county it was then a
wilderness, and what is now Mr. Fridrich's pasture was Mr. Lemen's
fishing lake. The old house erected as a fort by Rev. Lemen is still well
preserved, some additions having been made by the present owner.
The house is of brick, and since the destruction of Kaskaskia, is
perhaps the oldest brick house west of the Alleghenies.
It was built in 1796. The
old loop holes are still plainly to be seen, tho they have long since
been chinked with brick, where first the trusty rifle repelled the
larking foe. In the woods
nearby were deer, bear, wild fowl of every kind, while the lake was full
of the finest fish.
those present were:
Lemen, Albert Lemen and James Lemen, great-grandsons.
G. W. Beattie, of St. Louis, daughter of James Lemen jr.
(Note: this entry is confusing.
She is the daughter of James Lemen (son of Joseph & Mary
"Polly" Kinney), but she is not Rev. James L. Lemen, Jr.'s
Lemen, St. Louis; Mrs. Fannie Jones, Olney; Mrs. Lydia Lemen, J. D.
Lemen and wife of Urbana, and hundreds of other relatives.
connection with this event it is but just and proper that due credit be
given to Wm. Lemen, Dr. Douglas, and Mrs. M. Hoener of Waterloo, and
others who did so much to make the celebration possible and successful.
Mr. Lemen particularly worked long and perseveringly and at much
expense personally in making the preparations necessary for the
accommodation of the luminous throng that assembled in the grove.
The neighbors turned a helping hand, and the general verdict is
that the work was well done.
(Photograph) Dr. H. W. Twing of Alton, President of Lemen Monument
Association (very blurred).
LEMEN MONUMENT BURIALS
|SURNAME||FIRST NAME||D. O. B.||D. O. D.||SPOUSE||CHILD OF||CEMETERY|
|Eastwood||Andrew||03-10-1825||11-01-1825||E. Daniel||Lemen Monument|
|Lemen||James C.||11-11-1821||1Y,9M||Lemen Monument|
|Lemen||James, Sr.||11-20-1760||01-08-1823||Katherine Ogle||Rev. War soldier||Lemen Monument|
|Lemen||Katherine||01-14-1764||07-14-1840||Rev. James, Sr.||Nee Ogle||Lemen Monument|
|Lemen||Sidney b.||3 weeks||1836||Lemen Monument|