The Evangelical Lutheran Congregation of the Holy Cross
Monroe County, Illinois
This history was extracted from the following book on:
Combined History of Randolph, Monroe and Perry Counties, Illinois
Published by J. L. McDonough & Co.
The Evangelical Lutheran Congregation of the Holy
Cross near Glasgow City , (Renault P.O.). It was organized about
the year 1853 by the Rev. J. G. Birkmann, and known by the name:
"Evangelical Lutheran Immanuel's Congregation, "and its first
church stood about three miles south of Burksville. Rev. Mr.
Birkmann served the congregation until his death in 1865. Then the Rev.
C. S. Kleppisch took charge thereof and after him the Rev. J.